What are y'all playing? ver 2.0

Arch that looks like it would run on a fucking Amstrad tbf m8.

Might & Magic X: Legacy was really demanding for some reason. It has more varied and detailed environments, but the overall look isnā€™t more impressive.

If I manage to place in the top 1000, Iā€™ll get this card.

Currently hovering around the required cutoff, need to stay up a few hours to secure my spot.

I spent almost all of last evening+night grinding points just to get within striking range. I did take one prolonged break to eat something and I ended up dropping below 1100 range. It freaked me out, but I still had a little over an hour left to catch up. I ended up staying up until 3AM in the morning to get back to where I was and make sure my victory was secure. I was still cutting it really close, so that didnā€™t really help me get to sleep, but thankfully I was tired enough that it didnā€™t really matter. I woke up and checked in as soon as I gained consciousness:

Needless to say, I was pleased. I donā€™t know that I would ever do it again, but it was a unique experience. There was a lot of tension trying to grind enough points, it was hard to keep going at points for fear of wasting my time and resources in the game trying to do this. The crawl was slow and inconsistent enough that I was afraid it might already be too late to catch up, and I had to do it twice. Luckily I didnā€™t give up and waste all my effort because it paid off.

Because of the circumstances of this event, part of me is still a bit surprised I accomplished my goal. Maki (the red head pictured, obvs) is super popular, so I expected a lot of resistance from other players, but I didnā€™t expect most of the challenge would come from the event itself.

This event was a bit different from all previous events. Before, you would collect tokens from playing the game normally, and those tokens would be used to challenge a new event-exclusive song. This time we got whatā€™s called a Score Match. Youā€™re still playing the game normally in a sense, but instead of choosing songs to play, itā€™s randomized. Additionally, youā€™re matched up with three other players (or bots) and the objective is to get a better score than your opponents.

The bots in this event could be really frustrating. Thereā€™s little stopping them from stealing 1st place, even from three other human players. This screen is an example of me barely edging out the bot for 1st by three points.

Then there were players who clearly spent A LOT of money who would take first place even if they didnā€™t get a full combo (perhaps easier read as max instead of full) during the song. There are some preset responses that you can use that end up having the same effect as the emotes in Hearthstone. My favorite one to use was ā€œLooking good!ā€ because I had no idea what it was supposed to be for.

Then of course throughout of all of this, thereā€™s a general fight to place well on the leaderboard for the event. This event in particular had a catastrophic amount of competition. The problem with tying rewards to rankings is that those rankings have an indefinite endpoint. If everyone could just be cool, then the people who won wouldnā€™t have to fight so hard and spend so many resources getting their spots. This is the result of all of the events, but this one was compounded by the fact that you could (technically) check your ranking in real-time. It was all an evil, evil plot to tank everyoneā€™s supplies (mine included, I spent almost everything) to get people to spend more money. The worst part is that we did this to ourselves.

And now the game has an english trailer. Shout out to the narrator for vocalizing their poor grammar, Iā€™m sure that mustā€™ve been hard to do.

Pro-tip for Life, Nick: Never spend money on free games

Thereā€™s nothing wrong with supporting games you like. Especially this one because, aside from Dota and up until this event, it has the least pernicious FTP system Iā€™ve ever seen.

Also I didnā€™t spend any money, I had enough to get by without doing so. So I won.

slow clap

Itā€™s been a long time since I last played the NES and SNES versions, but Punch-Out!! for the Wii feels almost identical. Normally thatā€™s would be a bad thing although here Iā€™m glad they didnā€™t mess with the formula too much. The d-pad on the Wiimote isnā€™t great and itā€™s a shame that you are forced to use the pointer to navigate through menus.

I also restarted New Super Mario Bros. U. My platforming skills are rusty and picking it up where I left it would have been too difficult.

GT6 online - Ferrari 458 Italia One-Make Battle - Willow Springs Raceway

Iā€™m playing the Sleeping Dogsā€™ Definitive Edition and goddamn this game is fun as fuuuuuuck, i love love love everything about it. The girlfriend stuff sucks but oh well.

Goddamn Legend of Grimrock 2 is reviewing well.

The first game was GOTY material and it would have been really surprising if the sequel didnā€™t review well. I donā€™t have access to my gaming PC until Monday night and in the meantime Iā€™m considering how I want to re-roll my party.

Iā€™ve played some Mario Kart 8 yesterday. All stars on all 3 speed modes done, now mirror mode is unlocked. Was that also available in MK7? Iā€™m going to get busy with that for a while. So far it seems mirror mode is in 150cc, I like it :o

Iā€™m pre-loading Beyond Earth. Friday canā€™t come soon enough.

Playing Evil Within.

Itā€™s great.

My man

The Evil Within is absolutely batshit insane and I havenā€™t even played through half an hour of the game. The thing is, itā€™s a very entertaining brand of batshit insane. Thereā€™s blood, viscera, nails sticking out of enemies heads and all kinds of funky industrial rust everywhere, the game has next to no sense of restraint, itā€™s Japanese video game horror standards done to 11. The gamesā€™ pretty goddamn stingy with resources so far though, so youā€™re not just fighting everyone everywhere. At least so far, itā€™s very good.

I was supposed to get some work done this afternoon, but then I discovered that Beyond Earth had been unlocked.

Iā€™ve never experienced time passing so quickly, as I have while playing Beyond Earth.

Iā€™m going for a Transcendence victory in my first game and Iā€™m scared someone else will beat me to the punch. I wonder if I can slow down their progress by forcing them to spend money on a war.