I embed another webm.

That’s not a webm. It’s youtube…

I embed another WEBM in reply.

That’s pretty cute

Man Ema could not be any more best.

Which one is that?

Black pigtails.

I approve

About to start the second season of WIXOSS, myself.

Selecter spread whatever - 01

I don’t remember what the fuck is going on.

What would you do to Ema if she were real?

Buy her healthy food and assorted house utensils. And proper stove too.

That’s a weird question. No butts about it.

Man, Death Parade is pretty great.

Further defining MADHOUSE as my #1 animation studio of all time.

It’s only weird if you make it weird.

“What would you do to her” implies that this real person would just be acted upon without regards for consent. It’s weird.

i would hug the consent into her

and a nice cup of earl grey

Really enjoying this.

It’s so rad. Can’t wait to see how it ends.

You know what, it’s really interesting to see Anno’s style grow and change from Nadia to Eva to Kare Kano. In Nadia you can still see very archetypal and old direction that made it feel very easy to read and sometimes almost done specifically for a very young audience, but you can see here and there the more complex scene and theme. Death, for example, is something that creeps up in the most unsuspecting of ways, cleverly undermining the safe and predictable stretches of romance and adventure. Eva, well, was Eva. Wholly dedicated to Anno’s more serious and subtle side, with very stoic and honest direction, letting the characters do all the emotional work and creating the illusion that the authorship behind it was simply trying its best to give those characters the dignity and time they deserved. With Kare Kano though, Anno seems to have full control over a much wider range of strengths. The show is often ingeniously comedic and dramatic, seemingly never amateurishly breaking pace. The characters are also weighty, never truly single minded or easily reducible, thought they often appear so at first. And Anno’s direction is better than ever, intervening frequently to exaggerate or understate whatever is happening, and more astonishingly never ever slowing down. What a guy.

justwhatyoudexpectfromthemaster.jpg