Movies seen over the weekend

What sort of horror movie do you like?

Ones that are genuinely horrible to the point of being difficult to watch. Also gorey.

See:

Martyrs
The Descent
L’intereur

Star Wars: Rebels episode 2: Droids in Distress lived up to its expectations. If the series can continue to successfully balance seriousness and humor as it has done so far, then I’ll be satisfied.

Dracula Untold

It’s going to be difficult talking about certain aspects of the movie without spoiling certain plots, but I’ll try and avoid that.

The story is about a prince who is trying to protect his kingdom after declining to accept one demand from the strong Turkish army. It’s very action heavy and the movie takes you on a ride without any boring moments. For this it’s not very deep with its story but it’s still very well paced and it does not feel like the story is being rushed.

Is the movie worth watching? Personally I’d say yes. The main actor is badass, acts well and the action is handled very well. I loved the battles and how they were directed. Also the movie kept my attention and wanting to know how it would end.

Things that weren’t as good are few. Firstly, the movie is a bit on the cliche side. Some story scenes were predictable, although there were also unexpected moments. Near the end there was one scene where I started questioning the story and why it had to end like this. Although it still makes sense, it felt like it was added for more action. BUT, thanks to this scene the way the main character dealt with it was a great moment. It would have been perfect if it ended there. After that there was some sort of epilogue that hinted at a sequel. I don’t like it when that happens in movies. In this it felt sudden as in added at the last moment.

They’ve really dragged that story to the ground at this point, although they presented a twist with the new movie. The historic figure, Vlad Dracula, was given vampire powers or whatever, so it’s a history meets fantasy movie. There was an anime series I watched like that called Gankutsuou. It was a science-fiction re-imagining of The Count of Monte Cristo. Edmond became possessed by a demon.

Yeah, good enough for me. I’ll give Dracula a watch.

Also Leo, that anime’s been on my to-do list for some time. About time I took care of that.

John Wick is getting pretty good reviews.

Based Keanu.

Metacritic - John Wick

The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou | Wes Anderson | 2004 | USA | 119 min | Adventure | Comedy | Drama | BEST EVER

One of my all time favorites, The Life Aquatic may seem like a strange example of my mournful nostalgia, since it’s a comedy, and great one. But, even at its funniest moments, it’s filled with loss and longing, nostalgia slopping over the edges. Steve grieves for Esteban and watches Eleanor leave. The crew yearns for their heyday; and when they watch the old footage their longing is so strong I’m overwhelmed, too. But the strongest longing is that of Steve for his childhood, for the year he was 11, when the world was just becoming knowable, when his future was pure possibility, when he could dream of becoming Jacques Cousteau. In fact, the whole universe of this film is an 11-year-old’s dream of adulthood, of fantastic sea creatures, silly gunfights, submarines, adventure, adventure, adventure. It’s an impossible world, as we know too well; but no one can tell him that, because his future is perfect and open, and everything is still possible for him.

I watched Jin-Roh, and i really was expecting a little more emphasis on the Special Armed Garrison. I’m a little baffled by how the movie completely avoided commenting on their murderous behavior.

All in all, not the pro rebellion movie i was expecting it to be.

I watched Ponyo tonight and it’s one of the better movies made by Studio Ghibli.

I really didn’t grasp the whole storyline between Ponyo’s parents. Don’t remember much about that whole movie, plot-wise.

We don’t have thread for random YouTube videos, right?

Interstellar | Christopher Nolan | 2014 | USA | 169 min | IMAX | Adventure | Sci-Fi | I don’t even

A few script niggles aside, mostly in the third act, I thought Interstellar was very strong. Pacing was better than his last two. I need some time to process everything and articulate my thoughts though.

Brave | Mark Andrews | 2012 | USA | 93 min | Animation | Adventure | Comedy | 'Twas alright

Pixar’s movie from 2012 is pretty and occasionally funny. The characters and the plot didn’t grab me.

Yeah, Brave was just ok by Pixar standards, pretty good by standard standards.

Big Hero 6 | 2014 | USA | 108 min | Animation | Action | Comedy | Fun, action packed with some heart

My GF and I really enjoyed this movie. It was really fun, and the pacing was just right. The characters were enjoyable, but obviously a bit flat. The world was fleshed out well, and I would love to see more in it.

The bad guy was really flat, and while they tried to give it a bit of depth, it just didn’t seem like what would motivate someone to be so bad.

Memento | Christopher Nolan | 2000 | USA | 113 min | Mystery | Thriller | Still as awesome 14 years later

I watched it twice back in 2000 and it’s as great today. Knowing the twist didn’t make the movie any less enjoyable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=_Bragrpm50k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=IuldnbkAyfs

Memento is my favorite movie.

Apocalypse Now | Francis Ford Coppola | 1979 | USA | 153 min | MP4 | Drama | War | A Classic

Apocalypse Now is an anti-war film full of mindless violence, like a horror film. It is purposeful in its purposeless. And there’s no escape, we are trapped the moment the film starts, shot directly into the mind of a burnout, a man beaten by the horror, dulled from its madness, therefore all the more susceptible to it. And as great as the first two hours are…once the final act hits, the film elevates to another level, a wild, hellish, contemplative orgy of death.

Technically, the film is flawless. It is a visual marvel, the camera so precise and sweeping, hypnotically terrifying, the colours like piss and shit, curtaining the ugliness of the story. The sound design is a joy to listen to; the more I watch the film, the greater time I spend not watching it, marveling at the aural spectacle, my attention spiralling into the crevasses and corners, the helicopters and radio frequencies and the lazy river and the alien woods and the score, alternating from classical pieces to classic Hollywood action compositions to John Carpenter-esque, bass-driven thematic pulsations. I didn’t know what to think when it was over, and I loved that.

What an amazing piece of art. Never seen anything like it.