Microsoft Windows ...10 - The OS (X) of Personal Computers

Not interested, not from Microsoft at least. I’m just counting on them for a competent, functioning desktop interface, with as little bells and whistles as possible. As long as they can get that to me I’m happy as a clam.

Microsoft has a funny notion when it comes to Innovation. It’s really not their strong suit and they should come to terms with that. Be boring, be unoriginal, but be RELIABLE. That’s what Microsoft really needs, and that’s all I need from them.

They stopped releasing security updates for Windows XP earlier this year so most companies are abandoning it as fast as they can afford.

I mean, it’s a decade old OS. Let it die.

It’s also inferior to Windows 7 in almost every way.

Agreed!

I couldn’t see a day where the majority of the world’s computer users stop using Windows products. Microsoft is in a lucky position of having the #1 OS product in terms of usage. Strides have been made with OS X and the variety of Linux OS’s, but I doubt they’ll ever reach the market share of Windows. It’s always been viewed as the safe bet, or what’s most comfortable to use.

I really hate 8.1… will use win7 for a long time lol… I just hate the metro look/design

If you deactivate the new Start screen on bootup then you hardly have to look at the impractical Metro design.

I can attest to Win8 being a tremendous letdown, even with the 8.1 upgrade. All the Metro shit needs to be exorcised from the OS permanently. Face it, Microsoft. A touchscreen-style interface isn’t wanted for PC’s. They work well for tablets and smartphones only.

As for that holographic headset, please no.

Microsoft has revealed that Windows 10 will bring its voice-controlled assistant Cortana to PCs.

It also unveiled a headset that it said would one day project the operating system over views of the real world.

In addition, the firm announced that the OS upgrade would be offered free of charge for devices running Windows 8, Windows 7 and Windows Phone.

The offer, which is limited to the Windows 10’s first year of release, may aid its adoption.

It marks a change in strategy from Microsoft’s previous policy of charging for major updates, and could help avoid a repeat of the relatively slow uptake of Windows 8.

Windows 8 is great and I’m sure Windows 10 will be their best release to date. The differences between this and Win 7 are rather minor though so most users won’t notice or care.

Mike Ey, Microsoft HoloLens designer, killed in hit and run

Friends say Ey’s professional passion was perfecting “HoloLens,” Microsoft’s new “augmented reality” tool in development that blends the digital world with the real world. The technology will eventually enable anyone to create and interact with three-dimensional holographic images in real space.

Augmented reality and holographic images sounds cool, but I can’t imagine it being more convenient or faster than using a keyboard. I’m expecting it to be a poorly implemented gimmick with little support.

Yeah, pretty much.

I think given enough advancement in technology, AR will overtake VR, but in the short term VR is going to be massive.

Update, Microsoft will now attempt to track your behaviors even if you stick with older versions of Windows.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/08/30/windows-10-spying-on-windows-7-and-windows-8/

Why doesn’t Forbes use html for their site?

It looked weird as hell for me, but then again I’m using NoScript.